Thursday, February 14, 2008

NORMA RUBY RUBKE

Technically I don’t think medical professionals know how much patients hear when they’re unresponsive. I think that she heard everything. My kindred adventurous spirit and teacher of fierce independence, I think she waited for me. I got to say goodbye to my fearless Grandmother just over a week ago. I regaled her white head with my newest tales from Africa, she would’ve smiled if she’d had the strength. My stories were always funny to her, so they were much more fun to tell. She had a deep chuckle that always made me want to have a story to tell.
A few years ago when I returned from my first adventure abroad a bond was formed between us. Grandma had endless questions about Samoan culture, the diet of such an archipelago, the effects of poverty on an island nation, and countless more poignant inquiries. She pulled information out of me that I did not know I’d gleaned. She helped me to process experiences. She kindled an international spark which matured into my current Lesotho flame.
She lived through the Depression and War times; her understanding of hard times enabled her to have a unique understanding of the developing countries I’ve worked in. Her generosity abounded (and I know it wasn’t just a function of Grandmotherness) she helped to put me through Grad school and sent hilarious notes every month that I read aloud to my roommates. She was gracious beyond belief and never said an ill word of anyone. I am overwhelmed at the loss, but know that now she can adventure closer than ever with me.
Today I will make the Hurculean journey home and I know that she’ll make the journey with me. I am looking forward to having my traveling buddy closer than ever.

1 comment:

Rethabile said...

Wow, Mt-Moorosi! I'm from Ha-Makoae. Was home last August and spent a night at the Mt-Moorosi chalets on the road to Ha-Makoae. Wrote a poem about it: Sun Promise. Hope you enjoy it. You should try those chalets. A wondrous place.