Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Circus

This week the circus came to town. They have elephants, tigers, lions and a lady that holds a big snake. The elephants have been wandering around the city park ripping massive limbs off unspecting trees and munching happily. If someone asked me what the main contributor to deforestation in Lesotho is, this weekend, I would've said elephants. These saggy-bottomed beasts were separated from the crowd via police tape. If we were in the States I might say it was litigation waiting to happen, but here, no prob. My jaw dropped not only because I was viewing wild and majestic creatures but because there was nothing separating me from their dinner plate sized feet.

However, the best part of the circus did not lie in the menagerie of mammals and exotic oversize reptiles. The best part about the circus being in town, is that everyone thinks I'm with it. Over the course of a week a number of enquiries as to my role in the show have cropped up. I've thought about being offended, but the hilarity of the situation supercedes my ego. This week if you are a foreigner in Lesotho, you're assumed to be a carnie worker. Awesome.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

It's great to hear you are having fun. You always had such an irrepressible sense of fun when you were in Fort Collins. Only sorry not to see you again when you get back as we have now settled in Latvia, unless of course you come and visit us.