Sunday, December 7, 2008

MAGIC TIME

Something happens around twilight. I always used to get out of water when I was surfing because if felt like I should be still and wait while the magic happens. These days when the shadows lengthen I usually take a walk or run. My trusty New Balances slapped the African clay around dusk a few days ago. I live at one end of a valley and typically run to a village at the other end. There is a hut just before you reach the village that houses three precious little urchins. They are always barefoot and grinning. Every time I run by they yell
“Ausi Limpho, Lumela! Lipompom li kae?”
Roughly translated these little ragamuffins yell;
“ Well hello Kjessie, where’s the candy?”
Typically I respond with:
“Ha Lio.”
“It’s gone kids.”
Today during magic time as the sun sank behind sandstone cliffs one of the cheeky babes joined me on my run. Her tiny shadow was completely engulfed by my elongated silhouette. She smiled hugely and we locked eyes as her pace quickened and mine slowed so that we could lope along together. She did not ask for candy and I made no refusals, she just wanted my company.
Over the past month the power of relationship has blazed into my life. My little ausi (sister) just wanted to shade her eyes in my shadow and spend a few moments frolicking alongside a fortuitous foreigner. Yesterday I held the newborn of my best friend who has battled illness and odds, and won with a tiny gift named Ikaneng “to swear.” I swear that I am changed. Changed by this place that is so rough, so beautiful, and so sweet because these moments based sheerly on relationship sneak into my distracted world. I wonder if the end of the day is magic time because it lengthens the light and allows us to see more slowly and clearly what we’ve been missing when we rush during the short midday waves of busy bustling.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Sounds like you are falling more and more in love with the place. Bless you on your time there

maggie said...

Merry Christmas Kjessie. Maggie and Mark