Thursday, June 21, 2007

DESTINATION STATION

Lumela! (Pronounced doo-may-la) After a rousing few days in Washington D.C. (the highlight of which were unexpected friends met at a Chinese Food hole in the wall around midnight), I've arrived. The trip was a mish-mash of late flights, lost baggage, and missed planes. The travel culminated in 20 freezing Americans crossing the Lesotho border at 3 am. The best part was that there is a 300 meter strip of "No man's land" on the Lesotho/ South Africa border that must be crossed by foot (or so they tell us). I am willing to bet there were some border guards slapping their thighs as the travel weary foreigners shuffled over the border shaking in the 30 degree weather. I would comment on the incredible sights and sounds but I've been hulled up at a Peace Corps training site doing my best to learn Sesotho, the local language. All my sources and senses say that "the shoe fits." Everyday I'm closer to my village and a pony friend (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

1 comment:

Morgan Jane said...

I'm so excited that you're there and feeling the Lesotho vibe. I pray good things are to come, and that you learn the language quickly!