Saturday, June 30, 2007

NO SAFARI HERE.

This is no National Geographic Africa. There are no Lions chasing wildabeasts. I would search back in my childhood to find description, to those books that start off with "in a land far-far away..." On my way to school in the morning I pass men wrapped in heavy wool blankets perched atop a donkey on their way to the dusty fields. The land is harsh and rocky, with tall aloe plants dotting the landscape. I woke up to a dusting of snow and the condensation on my tin roof dripping onto my sleepy face. Whoa, wake-up call. My Sesotho (the language) is improving with baby steps. I stumble over the clicks and feel generally incompetant most of the time, but we're getting there. My hands are freezing as I'm typing, so I'll sign out for now.

1 comment:

Danielle Alexandra said...

oh kjessie!!! i miss you so. i guess you were right about the snow, stupid professor, what does he know? it sounds like you are getting along well! keep on working on the language, it will come! miss ya! - D