Tuesday, July 10, 2007


After returning from a site visit to the site of a current PC volunteer, I feel a little more in tune with what is to come. I think I'll start out with a little list of cultural Pro's and Con's:
Pro: (though some people think it's a con) Cheap public transportation. I have never been so squished in my life. Even though I did not have the privilege of carrying someone elses child or chicken, I'm told I will. I was definitely sardined between a few other volunteers with our bags piled to the ceiling and loud accordion blaring, hilarious.
Con: Drunken Bo-ntate. That would be a majority of the men that you meet in taxi's, luckily we were not super-harassed, but it was enough. I've decided that I need to learn how to say "I have a fist of rage" in Sesotho and maybe they'll leave me alone. A good question for my language trainer.
Pro: Roundavel's keep in a tremendous amount of heat
Con: Roundavel' s are tiny (Pictured to the left)
Pro: Roundavel' s don't have metal roofs, metal roofs sometimes collect condensation at night and then drip on your face all night. Not that that's EVER happened to me...
I was eye-opening to see the work of a current volunteer, but not altogether encouraging. I am also keeping in mind that the experience is my own. I have a few site prospects, but I'll know more shortly. Sala Hantle (Go well).

No comments: